Thursday, October 06, 2005

Winter

So, I'm leaving. No, not the world of blogging, i don't know what would happen to Jon Kramer and silent but always reading Carmen Smid if i did that. I think they would implode, or at least be upset for a while. No, i am leaving town. I am headed out for a weekend of Thanks and perhaps even some giving in the respective communities of Vermilion, and Spruce Grove. Good times.

Tonight, I was packing and i finished packing my clothes, and began the most important thing. Choosing CDs for the road trip. In such an occasion, i will only take with me a small pack of CDs, about 24 or so, most of which i won't get to listen to, but all of which i will have a choice of listening to.

To be honest, i have been feeling out of sorts for the better part of this month, and haven't been able to totally nail down the causes of it, but it has manifested itself in apathy, unsettled feelings, disappointment, and lonliness. It's been a hard month. There have been bright spots. For instance my Beloved Vancouver Canucks made a triumphant return last night defeating Wayne Gretzky and the Phoenix Coyotes, but there has been a lot of down time this semester, and by semester i mean month.

Anyway, as i was picking my CD's a thought occured to me. This is all "Winter Music". No, it's not Christmas music, i would have to shoot myself if that was the case. I hate Christmas music, and it is mostly my sisters fault, but i still love her. Then i thought about what Winter was, and what winter made me think of. Cold, Barren, Hard Wind, Snow, Blind. And that's just the tip of the iceberg (props to the Titanic). All the music i was picking was music that i could see myself listening to in times of being cold and alone, and dragging myself through the barren landscape of a winter time in my life. Or perhaps a season, as some people would call it. Anyway, it's not even really depressing music, it's not like i busted out the "Great Depression Mix" (no you can not steal that name, i invented it and it is amazing!), but it's all music, that i sub-conciously chose because it in part reflects the strength of my spirit right now.

So, i thought i would share the list with you.
1. Matthew Good - Avalanche
2. Counting Crows - Hard Candy
3. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
4. Bush X - Razorblade Suitcase
5. Weezer - Pinkerton
6. Ryan Adams - Gold
7. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Jacksonville City Nights
8. Jimmy Eat World - Clarity
9. Death Cab for Cutie - Plans
10. The Beatles - Abbey Road
11. Dave Matthews Band - Everyday
12. Blue Rodeo - Five Day's in July
13. David Gray - White Ladder
14. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
15. Somthing Corperate - North
16. The Wallflowers - Bringing Down the Horse (currently listning to)

Anyway, thats the music of my heart and soul right now. The music of Wintertime. Wintertime isn't always depressing and cold. There is warmth, love and peace too, like on some tracks from "Gold" and such, but for the most part, it's not. I look forward to having a great weekend, and coming back with a new perspective, and a new joy.

Song of the Day is "12/23/95" by Jimmy Eat World. You want a song that epitomizes winter for me right now, there it is. If ya'll got the means and or the desire, check it out. Until i return, sleep well my sweet children.
The Shaolin

"So this is winter
the snow falls
the wind blows
cold in my face"
- from "Winter" by Perry and the Poor Boys. Actually the best representation of a winter song ever. He wrote this song for his Dad after his dad died.

6 Comments:

Blogger Keller said...

I was disappointed that you opted not to go with your all time favourite vermilion CD... The Backstreet Boys: Larger Than Life. This opitimizes winter in many ways, as winter is larger than life. And longer sometimes... especially in Vermilion.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Kieran said...

It seems that winter do some people is such a depressing season and cold and dead....I understand why that is but I just can't see it that way. It is just a blanket of whitebliss like a new begining. Anyway, as I write this I feel your pain and really hope that you feel better. Man I am really in an emo mood right now. Well i will be praying for you my furry friend.
You really need to bring that spice girls cd that we were singing last night. I really really want to zig-a-zig-ahhhhhh!
Peace out

2:01 AM  
Blogger Keller said...

Kier... you should move to the Yukon... you could work at the hospital that Clark brought Chloe to in Smallville Season 5 episode 1. I hear they have blankets of white bliss there as well... and plenty of tundra if you get hungry. As for me, I'll continue to be annoyed with winter!!

Mike... can I borrow your Spice Girls CD for an illustration for a Youth talk on purity?

5:22 PM  
Blogger T.I.Houghton said...

In a world full of of cold, I find it glorious to bundle up in multiple layers, and then as the heat, or mood, increases the layers may be removed. Also I suggest warming yourself by listening to the sultry voice of Liam Gallagher as he croons something about a wall, or saving things or wondering about things, anyhow something of that nature. Merry Thanksgiving.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Keller said...

Hey Mike... sorry we didn't get to chat longer than saying hello before the service... I guess interacting through blogs will have to do for now.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Joy said...

Mike, I was so sad that I missed the auditions, that I'm sending my resume back with keir. Don't mind the gum holding the envelope together, I made it in church and needed something to make it hold. Bad I know, to write in church but I didn't want to lose my chance for flower girl again.
By the way I know this has nothing to do with the blog, good blogging however.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home