Saturday, July 08, 2006

My Hero/Messiah Complex took a hit today

Ok, well maybe calling it partially a messiah complex is a bit over the top, but in case you didn't know, i definitly have a hero complex. I've fantasized about it. Placeing people i care about in precarious positions, only to have myself save them and be the hero. I have a wild imagination.

So i was at work today (at the peril of all those around me who have yet to contract my horrible bronchial disease), and i was on my break. I like breaks. Anyway, one of my co-workers enters the staff room and makes me aware of a shifty customer she would like me to come check out and keep an eye on. Being the macho macho man that i am i lay down my reading matieral or soda can or whatever and head where the action is. Upon re-entering the store i am led toward a twitchy, half retarded looking young man who is pacing violently as if being persued...and he was, by Christian Publications staff. I struck up a conversation with him twice, attempted to build a relationship that would hopefully keep him from his expected goal which was of couse shoplifting.

He moved around a couple times and i kept an eye, and didn't see him steal anything, but then he went towards our DVD's and he was mostly out of my sight, but luckily my side kick Faith motioned to me that he had grabbed something, so i went to intercept him at the door, not wanting to cause a scene in the store, but as soon as he got to the door (before my fat slow ass) he was gone, i yelled after him, but he took off. The truth is, i hesitated. I didn't know how to proceed, or what was within my rights to do, and because of these things, he was not apprehended. So anyway, i had a chance to fulfill my hero fantasy and i blew it. How lame is that, i felt like a total loser after that. And i will find it difficult to ever make fun of Tim H. again for not grabbing the kid who stole McRitchies X-Box and Tim's backpack.

As Gordon Lightfoot wrote, and Johnny Cash so beautifully and recently conveyed via his post-humous release "American V: A Hundred Highways" on the song "If you could read my mind"

"If I could read your mind love
What a tale your thoughts could tell
Just like a paperback novel
The kind that drugstores sel
lWhen you reach the part where the heartaches come
The hero would be me
But heroes often fail
And you wont read that book again
Because the endings just too hard to take"

Anyway, Johnny's new album is possibly his best in the American series and i mean that with every ounce of musical credibility i have, however large or small. I love you all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

Have you ever fantasized about saving me? Oh please say yes!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

It's okay Micheal. You'll get another shot and you'll do it next time, I'm sure!

6:36 AM  
Blogger T.I.Houghton said...

I hate to say it, but I knew the day would come when you were faced with a similar situation. Let me tell you though, stopping would be thiefs gets easier. I myself completed my hero complex a few months ago when I stopped a somewhat desheveled woman from stealing 2 bottles of high end Ice Wine from Maria's. It was thrilling and I will never forget it. See you soon. Ira.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Matt Russell said...

I think you can still make fun of Ira for the X-Box, mostly I think that because I know that you probably will and after you do you will get that look on your face of anticipation of someone bringing up this incident and then it will come out and you'll say that doesn't count and we will all have a good laugh about it. You know it's true.

11:42 AM  
Blogger cindy robert said...

You have officially placed yourself in a stereo-typical John Eldredge Man role. You want to be the hero....so you see. You do agree with him! Ha! Well, hope the next time a weirdo comes into CP you can tackle him at the door and make him regret the day he even thought about stepping foot in the store.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home