Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Drastic Disciplinary Measures

For a long time, i have wanted to implement some changes in my life. Changes that focus me towards others then myself, towards God and away from myself and the distractions that i have indulged myself in. I have wanted to live a life of purity in mind, deed and spirit, but for the most part i have been unsuccesful in implementing these changes into my life. Well, that's all going to change...i hope. Out of my life experiance, and also conversations with my mentor here at school, i realized that a good life, and a life worth living must be a disciplined life. Actually, i have known this for a long time (well since around last year when i read Bonhoeffer's classic "The Cost of Discipleship), but have never been able to make myself disciplined or stick to what attempts at a plan i have had. It's been discouraging, and in some respects i was at the point where i wanted to give up trying. I was ready to just let these things occur at thier own speed since i was having such a hard time trying to ferry them along in my life. More recently through a conversation with my mentor, i came to realize how vital discipline in life is, not just for someone wanting to be a pastor but for anyone. Anyway, all of this to say, i have spent the last hour or so in my room, at my computer and desk creating a few items for myself that will hopefully help hold me firm in my new dedication to making changes in my life and habits. I created a "to do list" which highlights the things i believe to be important enough that i need to remind myself to do them. Things like "read a chapter of the bible, do 10 pushups and 10 situps, pray for the people on your prayer list (which i had to create this afternoon as well), make your bed, clean your room, eat breakfast of some kin in the morning...you see what i'm getting at. I am hoping to make changes in my life, and you are the first people i'm sharing this with. Partially because i hope you will see changes in my life, and attitude even if just through what i write on here, but also, so if you would like to, you can ask me how it's going and so on. Don't think i am going to leave it there, i am going to find someone here who can see me everyday and ask me how i am doing with these new disciplines so far. In the meantime, have a great rest of the afternoon. Sorry, i haven't blogged, it's been a weird month emotionally, and since i need emotion most of the time to blog, i haven't felt like sharing all the ones i have had recently with you. Also in big news, my fience, the love of my life, Cara, got baptized last week in Vermilion, and i was blessed to be there to witness Cara take this step in her life and faith.

So, i'm back at school, back in Calgary, looking forward to a good semester, with a better outlook(props to Troy's brother) on life and everything else. Part of that better outlook might be because i for the first time in like two months, bought groceries today. Woo Hoo!

What shall be the song of the day? I have been partaking in a wide variety of music these last few days, so i have much to choose from. I think today's honor will go to Conway Twitty, and his masterpiece of a song "Hello Darlin'. That's right, i've been listening to vintage country music and it has been more then worth my while, and if you go ahead and listen to some Conway Twitty, it will be also more then worth you while. So, if you have the means and or the desire, check out today's song "Hello Darlin' by Conway Twitty, or as I like to call him, C-Twit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bassmaster Fehr said...

I'll be keeping you in my prayers as you go through this process of change. Cabin 6 forever!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Keller said...

Cabin 6 stinks. Good job for the discipline thing... I've been going through something a bit similar although different. This comment is general yet specific. It is ironic, yet not.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home