Thursday, December 01, 2005

We'll all be, safe 'till St. Patricks Day

About a week and a half ago, i decided to go to class. It was a bad descision, especially since every time i go to this particular class i leave feeling exasperated at having paid nearly $800 for a class where i don't learn anything. On this particular day though, i was feeling extremely exasperated because of the continued discussion and comments made by particular people in my class. In case you haven't deducted yet, this is not a Bible College Class. This is a sociology class, that Bible College Students have to take, but is mainly created for the Behavioral Science Students, all of which reside in the School grouping known as NUC. Now, this isn't anything against, the Nazerenes, or NUC or anything like that, but here's the truth. That class is filled with people who are more concerned with being liberal Christian Hippies then agreeing with something that is so clearly scriptural. I get annoyed. The fact of the matter is there are like six of these people in a class of about 90 students, but the other fact of the matter is, is that that these six students are more opinionated and orally fixated then anyone else in the class. It's like they enjoy the sound of thier own voice or something. Anyway, by in large due to the Professor, there has been a great deal of discussion coming back to the "Same Sex Marriage Issue". This gets tired. So, this one day when i decided to go to class, we got back into it. I argued back and forth for the first couple of classes, but then found the argument to be circular and pointless, so i just gave up, because i don't need to convince anyone in that class of anything, other then how attractive i am, and also, how sharp of a wit i am. Anyway, back to the class a few days ago. One particular student started going off on how theology is changing and Same Sex Marriage is becoming acceptable to people in the Church and the followers of Christ. How we need to adapt our theology to be more accepting of this, and how this is the major trend that is happening and that will lead our churches into the next generation. Now, bear in mind that is not a direct quote. I wish i would've written down exactly what she said, but i didn't. Do you know why I didn't? BECAUSE I WAS FUMING MAD! Why, was i fuming mad? Do I hate gay people? Do I want gay people to live lonely unhappy lives? No, I don't hate Gay people, no i don't want people to be unhappy, but do, i want to concede that the theology, and the practise of accepting homo-sexuality as the norm and acceptable is what we need to do? No, i sure don't.
Ok, i'm just going to lay it out. I don't think the definition of marriage should have been changed to include same sex unions. Honestly, i oppose that. Think of me what you will. But if there is a shift in the beliefs and morals of Christian to include homo-sexual union as something deemed acceptable in our churches, then there is a real problem, and i think this problem is coming from liberal hippie Christians who are more concerned with politics and "human rights" then what the Bible has to say.
I don't mean to come across as a right wing fundementalist from Texas. Don't brand me as a republican, narrow minded fasciast, just because i don't believe in same sex marriages and because i have a problem with liberal hippie christians. Do what you want actually, I don't care. I don't hate these people, but when people start trying to make excuses in thier beliefs for things that are clearly not appreciated by the God they claim to follow it makes me mad.
You probably all think i am nuts, and a bad person, but i'm sorry, what these people said, and they attitude with which they said it caused me great frustration and anger. Perhaps i am generalizing this group of people, and perhaps that is a bad thing, because in some ways i am quite "liberal" it could be said, but i try and stand by what Scripture says. Not just in condemning things, but in loving people. This obviously is not easy for me right now, because even as i typed this, i got all riled up, but anyway. What are your thoughts? Am I wrong? Am I a Bad Person?

What else is going on in my life? I have a job interview tomorrow, I have a Christmas Banquet on Sunday, I am trying out a new Church on Sunday, I'm going to a presentation by the Calgary Flames on Saturday as a representative of the School that i Attend. I'm getting Married in August.

Song of the Day is "Bad" by U2. "Bad" is an underappreciated song by U2. It is so beautuful, and poetic. It's like people forget about how amazing this song is. It gets overshadowed by "Pride" on it's original released album "The Unforgettable Fire" and the overshadowed overall by every song on "The Joshua Tree". "Bad" is an amazing song, some of the finest lyrics Bono has ever come up with, and if you have the means and or the desire, you should check it out. What do i mean by that? I mean, if you have this song on a CD somewhere, or you have the ability to download it, you should. And by desire, i mean, if you want to, if you want to partake in wonderful music, then you should.
Muchos Gracias

El Shaolin

1 Comments:

Blogger Keller said...

Mike, I know your frustration. One thing I suggest to you is to remember that our battle is not against the "liberal hippie Christians" but against the principalities and powers of this dark world.

I, much like you, get easily frustrated with lax theology... and the assumptions that truth is relative (which is basically what I hear you say they are saying). Some people have gone overboard on the "change" mentality to include truth as something that can be changed. This is not true at all... truth will break us before we can break it.

I don't think they are correct in assuming that "accepting same sex marriages" are being accepted at large by the Church... although some regrettably are.

My cousin is a homosexual and she has one kid with her partner. Her church has not only accepted this as okay, but has actually pushed it forward as untolerable to stand against it. I love her. I cannot accept where she stands on this issue, despite if I'm branded "intolerant" or a "hater"... it's interesting that in our "free country" we're not allowed to have our own opinions... esp when it comes to "religious" beliefs.

I understand your annoyance and frustration. This might be a sign of what we'll have to deal with in increasing volume in the near future. Keep up the fight Mike, but remember who the fight is really against.

Praying for you bro.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home