Saturday, October 29, 2005

Confessions of the former roomate of a Weeping Prophet

So, whilst i was in the scotia of the novan variety, i thought about confession, and or confessionals. Why did i think about this archaic invention you may ask, well it's because my uncle's funeral was a Roman Catholic service, as were many of the goings on at his viewing/wake. So one of the elements that i thought about was the old fashioned confession booth. I thought about how i respect and admire some aspects of the Roman Catholic faith and practises, one of which being the confessional booth. I feel like i'm not saying anything real so far, but bear with me. I don't like the "Hail Mary's" (and i'm not talking about the football play here folks), i don't like the idea that after we confess our sins before God and Man, we are required to serve some sort of man made penance. What i do like about it, is the practise of confession. If we could somehow take the confession booth, refine it, and make it part of our Alliance Churches, i think it would be great. I think, that despite the fact that accountability groups are the new rage, i have a hard time finding people who will hold me accountable and not have to have me hold them accountable for holding me accountable. Even more so, i find it difficult to confess to people when i screw up. I know that ultimatly God is our judge, and we need to confess before him, but, i also believe in accountability because that helps you keep from screwing up again, but for one reason or another, i haven't found successful, long term accountability. I think because of this, i like the idea of an somewhat annonymous time of confession to a wise person, who can counsel me, whose job is to listen to correct and to encourage. I guess the dark little booth, hides the shame better then having to walk into a pastors office and say, i screwed up, what should i do. Besides, Pastors, are too busy to deal with things like that. Or maybe it seems like that. I don't know. I don't know how well it would work, but i feel like, Confession booths in prodestant churches would serve a good purpose and would also help us train ourselves to be constantly confessing our sins. Maybe i'm the only one who sees these things as possibly beneficial, and clearly i haven't thought this all the way through, but i see potential in it, and want to explore the idea more fully, and i guess i am seeking input from the world of internet blog readers, cause it seemed like a good idea at the time.

So for those of you in the Calgary Area, next thursday would be a great chance for you to view the vocal stylings of both myself and my roomate Troy as we blow peoples minds with our beautiful songs. You see, my place of educational employment is holding what is known as a "coffee-house". At these coffee-houses, people come, drink tea and or coffee, eat scones, and sing songs, or read poems, or whatever. It's artsy, and so Troy and I wanted to do one, so they made one, and Troy and I are leading the event as well as performing. So come check it out it's at 8pm at Thistles Coffehouse, right by my place of residance. It's gonna be a glorifical good time.

Song of the Day is "Weeping Prophet" by Jeremiah Zaretsky. My former roomate was a budding musician, and recorded an album of heart-fet tracks that almost got him nominated for a juno award. Anyway, one day, we made a music video for the song, it's great, but we have had trouble transfering the file because of it's size and anger. So we are still waiting for the Major Label Debut of Jeremiah, but his music video will be shown on Much Music soon, so keep your eyes peeled. If you have the means and or the Desire, check out Jeremiah Zaretsky's crowning achievement "Weeping Prophet"

1 Comments:

Blogger Keller said...

I think that there are many elements of Catholic tradition that are valuable as well. Confession being right up there near the top. Accountability partners whom you need to hold accountable to hold you accountable are not much help agreed. Question: Would confessing to a "pastor" be beneficial?

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home