Monday, August 01, 2005

I Like to take my time

Hey people.

You and I both know that it has been way too long since i blogged, and even longer since i said anything of real consequence, but hey, no one really reads this anymore, so what do you care? Mostly i care.

So I had an interesting weekend. I went to my 2nd home of Vermilion, with two expressed purposes. 1. Experiance the world renowned "Vermilion Fair". You see, when i began my internship in Vermilion a year ago now, i missed the fair by a couple of weeks, so that was the one big town event that i had yet to experiance, and now i have. 2. was obviously to visit Cara, but luckily i am so creative, i managed to accomplish both of my expressed purposes in one single weekend of purified and petrified glory.

The fair was alright. I liked it though, despite it's small size and limited options for entertainment. Things like the Calgary Stampede are too crowded for me. I liked the fair cause it was never so busy that you felt like driving though it with a hummer to create space, and it was great cause you could hardly go 20 steps without running into like 10 people that you knew. I liked that. I like it, cause it's a community. In fact, i met the brother of a girl who was at CBC with me my freshman year. It was bizarre, because he told me he was from Drayton Valley (a redneck town south of Edmonton) and i did my customary Drayton Valley Question "Do you know Landon?" and he did! So we figured out a couple more mutual aquaintances, it was crazy and bizarre, but i love that kind of thing, not like Stampede, where you would be lucky to see a attacking 50 foot woman, let alone someone you know there! I guess i am just really sold on the small town community thing, even despite it's many gossipy drawbacks, i love it.

I would have to say my favorite moments of the fair were watching the Chuck-Wagon Races, and also the splendid fireworks display at the end of the fair. Chuck-wagons were great, cause they were so wild and fast and uncontollable as some of those horses just did what they wanted to do, which is another notch in my belt of theory's against trying to tame the wild beast known as "a horse". The fireworks were also fun, cleary it was no symphony of fire, but it was still great, and i was so much closer to the action then i would ever be at the symphony of fire in Vancouver.

Then today, i departed that fine town, and hit Edmonton, where i met Jon Kramer and hung out with him. We talked about a few things, including the need to have someone to talk to, and discuss your thoughts with, especially in relation to ministry and general theology/faith issues. We have both been missing the community that AUC/CBC has spoiled us with. Perhaps we will be spurred on to create communities like that in our own personal situations, rather then mourning over the one we haven't had since CBC. Though i am a bit better off then Jonny, cause i get to go back to CBC for one more year and have another does of that wonderful community. I really don't want to take advantage of it, in that i don't want to take it for granted this year. I suppose i actually do want to take advantage of it while i still have the chance.

Jon and I also talked abou the future. Future of ministry, the role of seminary, the direction of the Alliance in Canada, and we didn't really come to any concrete conclusions, but it was nice to find someone who was as thoughtful about these things as i haven't been lately.

When this job ends, i promise to read more and let my brain function in a way other then the consumption of music. I miss reading, i miss the stimulation it gives me, the thoughts, the ideas, that way God uses it to shape me. Anyway, not too much else to report on my end.

I journey to Vancouver ultra soon which i look forward to quite a bit, but i still have three weeks before that dream comes true, but the great thing is, summer has really flown by so far. How often will you hear someone say that? How thankful they are for the speed with which summer holidays have passed? Especially me! I used to live for summer, but this time, i needed it to go fast, and it has.

Song of the day is "Good Hearted Women" by the late, great Waylon Jennings. For the last week and a half, my appatite for both destruction and the music of Waylon Jennings has been insatiable. Anyway, this "Good Hearted Women" song is one of the many that Waylon performs with Willie Nelson. It is a fantastic song, and i think i might use it somehow in my wedding one day. I actually pictured it being the song i leave the church to. Anyway, Waylon is a bad-ass, country star who left us too soon. So if you have the means and or the desire to find out what music is stroking my heart valves, then you should check out this song by a true hero in Waylon Jennings.

Peace

2 Comments:

Blogger Keller said...

I'm glad Nita figured it out. I'm unsure who Nita is, because the only Nita I know is the one that works with me... and since I was at camp and can't figure out who Nita is my mind has been working overtime the past few minutes to try and figure it out... I guess I feel creepy now, but hey, maybe one day I'll find out. I can't believe I just posted a comment this long on something that has nothing to do with your blog Mike. Peace out.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Keller said...

Nevermind... I think I figured it out.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home