Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Van Halen Aides the Digestion

I just wanted to write a quick blog here before i hit the hay, so i can say i blogged 4 days straight. So this morning, i woke up at 7am, and it was raining. That meant that i could go back to sleep for a while. So i went back to sleep, and woke up around 10am. I checked my email (part of my addicted daily ritual) and ventured to the washroom for my other daily rituals. The great thing about living with Josh and Tim, is thier boombox in the washroom. This morning as i entered the washroom, i turned on said Boombox to find Van Halen's classic tune "Jump" playing loudly from the little speakers. This was not the first time i had managed to hear Van Halen whilst in the washroom, yet today was the day that i came to realize or at least contend that the music of Van Halen aides the digestion process. I proclaimed this truth to my roomates, who responded with little or no enthusiasm, seeing as both of these lads grew up with no knowledge of the early power and glory of bands like Van Halen.

From there, my day improved. I went to the school, took care of all my buisness there, and after that Tim and I had a lunch of grilled cheese sandwhiches and tater gems. Following our ingestion of sustanence, we ventured to the Chinook Centre Mall in Calgary to take advantage of the sales at Old Navy (also known as the Elderly Military Unit based in the water). I bought two new pairs of shorts which will aid me on my camping trip this weekend. Tim bought a substantial amount more then i did. It was good times. We came home and we made a music video that was a year overdue, and it turned out to be pretty swell, and i can hardly wait to send it to my friends.

Today was a day that i eventually needed comfort and peace. I will not divulge the circumstances, but i was feeling heavily agrivated and emotionally pained, and there was nothing i could do to alter the circumstances. God in his grace and love provided me with that comfort and love and peace (though it was only an improved peace, not total peace) through conversations with people who i care about, and through beautiful conversation and friendship. I think sometimes when we turn to God, and his word to seek solace and peace we expect to have some sort of deep spiritual experiance where we literally feel "the arms of God" enveloping us in a hug. Maybe thats just me, but i forget that God is not limited by my understanding of him, and if he chooses to offer me comfort and peace he can do it in so many ways. He can do it through the word of a friend, the rebuke of a loved one, through film, through music, through a story, and even in this list i am limiting him. God's timing is impeccable and perfect, and when we are able to see his perfect timing at work, it is truly a blessing and a bit of a mind blower to realize that God does care about you, little insignificant you are worth so much to him. It's wonderful. I read in Romans today "...but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us". I forget that God can use my suffering to shape my heart and character. I get so wrapped up in my own problems that i can't see the hand in front of my face, i can't see how God is actually caring for me and offering me his hand through his Spirit to comfort and support me, and give me the strength to actually persevere, and grow my character and hope. This is what i want, to find his strength and purpose in my suffering rather then just chalking it up the calamity, sinfull, fallen world that i live in that brings only senseless pain and useless pain. Sometimes the pain is so deep we can't see around it, but there is another side to pain and grief and suffering if we would just allow God to take us there and shape our hearts through it so that we can be more like him, conforming to his image, in spirit and and in truth and in love.

Song of the day. Well clearly it should be a Van Halen song, seeing as they aide the digestive process, but do i really want to use "Jump"? Hmmmmm, i know, the Van Halen song i like most is "Runnin with the Devil". I don't know why, i'm not trying to piss of christians who read my blog, but "Runnin" is just such a kick ass song that it has always had a special place in my heart, ok well maybe Van Halen never made it to my heart, but they will always have a special place in my digestive system. Despite the fact that i myself do not run with the Devil, i will recommend that if indeed you have the means and or the desire that you check out the song "Runnin with the Devil" by the Van Halen. I will never forget the scene in the film "The Wedding Singer" that is closely connected to Van Halen. If you don't know what i am talking about, you are probably not a music nerd, so don't worry about it. Anyway, i'm gonna go to bed. I love you all, though some more then others.....no offense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home