Thursday, August 18, 2005

Avril Lavigne Guards Our Liquor Cabinet

So today as i a cleaned up my room and gathered up loose pieces of paper, i found something mind blowing. I found a letter that i was writing to Avril Lavigne back in January, which was the peak of my infatuation with this canadian singing lady. Anyway, i have decided to share that un-finished letter with you, because it is humerous. Also, just to clarify, if you are currently my girlfriend, please do not be offended by the harmless crush of years past. She meant nothing to me, i swear!

So yeah. Also, When i bought her CD, it came with a mini poster in it, and i put that poster on the door to the liquor cabinet of the apartment in which i currently reside. So in essence (not to be confused with Evanescence) Avril Lavigne guards our (our being Tim, Josh, and Me) cabinet of liquor.

So Yeah. Here is the letter that i promised you, and i am very tired, and Tim may have had too much to drink tonight, but if you are his mother reading this, please disregard previous statement.

Ok, Tim is really concerned about my previous statement which may have been a clever way to cover up the fact thay i myself may have had too much to drink. But don't worry, i didn't.

Ok, Here is the Letter that i wrote on January 28th 2005, whilst i attended the conferance that Breaks Forth in Edmonton, Alberta.

So Yeah.

"Dear Avril,

Can I Call You Avril? Or do you prefer Miss Lavigne? My name is Mike Schalin, and we have something in common. We are both Canadians. Although you are from Ontario, and I from B.C., but i actually reside in Alberta. We also have something else in common, i used to want to be a rock star, and you are a rock star. I guess that's not really a commonality, because i really don't know how you feel about being a rock star, all i know is that you are one. I am 21 years old, and in my fourth year of post secondary studies. I told you that i used to want to be a rock star and that is true, but i am sure you are wondering what i want to be now. Well, I'll tell you...I want to be and i feel like it's my life calling to be a youth pastor in a church. You might think that's weird, and in some ways it is, but i really enjoy teenagers and believe it's critically important to invest in thier lives. By this time you must be wondering (if it's even you who is reading this) what the heck this is all about? Well, I'll tell you, I wanted to write this to you so that you can know that i think you are very talented and i have a great deal of respect for you. Your most recent album "Under my Skin" was enough to make me believe. To be honest, I wasn't impressed by your first release, and for a while even resisted "Under my Skin" for a while because i was trying to maintain what i thought was my musical credibility, but now i can see i was wrong, and I'm sorry. Thanks to you, and your music i hope to never judge a rocker by their gender or apparent fan base again, I will only judge by the music. The music that you write...are the lyrics a true representation of actual events and feelings? If they are, i feel like we would make good friends. The way you express yourself, the things you speak about in your songs. For example:"

So yeah. Thats where i got to before more important things came to the forefront of my life. So basically, i just wanted to share that with you and tell you that if you want to write to your favorite musician that you should, cause you have nothing to lose, who knows, maybe if i would've actually written and sent this letter Avril would've written back and we would've become buddies like i thought we could've. Oh well.

So Yeah. If i could write a letter to someone now who is a rocker (clearly i could, but i am too tired so i won't) it would be Adam Duritz, of the COunting Crows, and i would ask him to hurry up and make a new record that i wouldn't be able to afford right now anyway. But in tribute to Adam and the rest of the Crows who count, todays daily song, or "Song of the Day" is going to be "COmmon People" by William Shatner. You may be wondering how i got to William Shatner out of all of that, well, i'll tell you. William Shatner's latest album was produced by Ben Folds, who plays the Piano, and Adam Duritz plays the piano, so thats how i figured it out. It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon and stuff. So....Yeah....if you have the means and or the desire check out "Common People" by the Shat, cause thats who he is.

So Yeah. Peace

2 Comments:

Blogger Keller said...

Mike, I remember reading that letter on the scratch paper you wrote it on. I recently saw in Coles Bookstore the journal entries of Kurt Cobain... it was all his scratch paper photocopied... you should consider doing that... all those letters to Brittany Spears would look good there too.

2:24 PM  
Blogger firbz123 said...

Avril i am doing a book report on you and i am going to see you in concert
you rock so much and i love your song
when your gone if you read this than
pleas add me on M.S.N messenger at
taylorfirby@hotmail.com.

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home