Thursday, January 20, 2005

The President was sworn in today....coincidence? Maybe, Maybe Not!

In his book “Blue Like Jazz” Donald Miller asserts that there is no feeling, no emotion, and no state of being worse then that, of loneliness. I am inclined to agree with Donald on that point, but at this point in my life I feel that being uninspired is a close second. I wish that I could be brimming over with deep thoughts, thoughts that are relevant, thoughts that inspire other people, but alas I without inspiration. I envy people like Matt and Michelle who are so immersed in a new culture that everyday (or at least every other day) yields a new adventure (in missing the point?) a new smell, a new emotion and so on. This is not to say that I don’t have new experiences, because I do, internship is an exercise in new experiences, but not on the same level. I love what I am doing, I love the place where I am serving, I love the people, but it has become normal. I was having a conversation with a friend today and I asked her if anything new and exciting had happened in her life since I had spoken to her last, and she said no. Then I thought about it for a bit and came to the realization that dramatic and life changing things don’t happen all that often. Or do they? Do we minimize the events of our lives so that they have less effect on us? I know it works the other way, I know people who make everything in their lives out to be the biggest deal since Mickey Mouse. Those people I don’t get along with very much and I can see the harm in living your life exaggerating every little detail to add some intensity to your life that would not otherwise be there. But what about people who shrug everything off as nothing? Is there harm in that? There must be, every extreme has some sort of fault. Either way, at either end of the spectrum you are missing out on reality, and that is never a good thing. I suppose that the goal is to realize that life can be exciting and boring, there are ups and downs and that’s the way life is. What do we take from that? I think we can take a reality check? Which one am I? I think I am a mix, in some areas I have been overly dramatic, exaggerating things a tad, but I think that’s part of having an emo heart. But I also shrug things off, some things that maybe I should consider more. But now I realize since I am writing about this, and discussing it, I am probably more of the drama queen, I mean look at me, making a big deal about such a stupid thing. That’s embarrassing! Anyway, I guess the goal is to find the balance and not swing to high and not swing to low. So heed my words, they seem like a good idea, but it’s all muddled. I feel like I’m trying to write out my thoughts in a mud puddle. But anyway, it’s getting late, and I have work tomorrow, hopefully God will allow me to see the beauty in the mundane and regular aspects of my life so that I can write something good for you.

Music is beautiful, music speaks to the soul, music speaks to the heart, and music soothes the savage beast…aka…me. The song that I have chosen for song of the day does all those things. Today’s song is brought to you by Ryan Adams, and it is my absolute favorite song by him that is featured. “La Cienga just smiled” track four on his album “Gold” is that song. It is slow, it is beautiful, it is passionate, and it is just great. I don’t know what else to say about it, it brings back fond memories for me, introducing Adam Loewen to Ryan, and having this be his favorite song as well. Then Adam and I played it at a coffee house at school last year, I screwed up one chorus, but I still thought it sounded pretty good, and the ladies loved it which is what I was all about. Anyway, it’s a beautiful song, Ryan Adams at his best, if you have the means and or desire check it out, you shant be disappointed.
Thanks for reading, especially you Carmen….You Win Again!

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Russell said...

Hey Mike,

La Cienga is smiling at me right now, I finally had the means to partake in the song of the day (though oddly I had already listened to it today). I love it, and that can be attributed to you, thanks. As far as fun here, I actually had the most boring day today, the most exciting thing I did and the only time I left the house was to bring the kids lunches to school and I sang "it's a beauitful day" by U2 in my head, because it was a beautiful day here. But I must admit I do have more adventures here than I did at home, I think I will try to be more adventurous when I get home.

Lots of love

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home