Monday, January 10, 2005

Blue Like Jazz

“Today is the greatest…day I’ve ever known” actually it wasn’t, but whenever I begin a statement with the word today I am reminded of and urged to quote Billy Corgan’s masterpiece song “Today”. Today was not the greatest day I’ve even known but it wasn’t totally bad either. Due to the fact that it was not a work day today, I was able to sleep in… and sleep in I did, I didn’t get out of bed till 11:30am, which was good for me, but as I think about it further, that was really a waste of a day. I could’ve and should’ve gone to Lloydminster to do my business there, but I really didn’t think about it till recently. Anyway, the sleep was good, and even though I regret it a bit, I don’t totally regret it.

So how did I fill my short day? Upon my wake, I showered, which was also great, because my body was still stiff and sore from playing hockey last night. I always forget how much pain there is after not skating for like a year, but the shower was good. After that, I did some reading and writing. It was a good time to shut-up and let someone else’s thoughts roll around my head for a while. For instance I just finished reading a book called “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller. It was recommended to me by a very good friend named Monica, and in her recommendation she was not a failure. This book was a very fun, and thoughtful read as Miller wrote about life experiences connected to the church and his quest for spirituality and so on. I would recommend this book highly, in fact I am going through it again, and already seeing some things I missed the first time around. It’s a really great book. Miller also has another book out which I intend to read/purchase when I next get an opportunity.

Other then my reading/writing I also made a trip to get my body checked out due to it’s many illnesses. It turns out my one ear is pretty much taken care of, and my other ear needs some more medication, so the kind South African Doctor gave me a prescription and I went to get it filled while I picked up a few items of large importance. (Nail-clippers, a highlighter, lip balm ect). Then I came home did some more reading and have been pretty relaxed. It’s a good way to spend a Monday.

Anyway, while waiting for my Doctor to treat me, I was hit with today’s song of the day. “Your Time is Gonna Come” by Led Zeppelin. I was waiting for quite some time at the Doctors office, something that I truly despise, waiting long past my appointed time, and so long in fact that people who got to the office after me were going ahead. I was slightly frustrated, because of that fact, and also the fact that I was forced to remove my shoes upon entering the building, so I was considering talking to the receptionist about my concerns. Then this song by Led Zeppelin popped into my head and I thought to myself, “you know Robert, (the lead singer of Led Zeppelin) you’re right, my time is going to come” and I sat waiting and humming that song. So if you have the desire and means, check this song out, Led Zeppelin never disappoints.

So thanks again for stopping by, I’m cold and hungry so I’m going to put on some more clothes and eat some food. Until next time….Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home