Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The only living boy in Vermilion

Today has been a bit of a bummer. “Life’s a bummer when you’re a hummer”. “No particular reason, just felt like running”. Sorry, I couldn’t resist quoting Billy Corgan again and also Forrest Gump. I really love that film; it’s just so darn good. It’s not a film I could watch over and over again everyday, but it’s like an old friend, you come together and you remember how much you love it. Anyway, since I woke up this morning I have felt out of sorts, just like I have no energy or passion. We all have those days, I guess mine is today.

It has come to my attention through various mediums that there is a small army of people who read this blog. I really am thankful for you who read this site. Truth be told, even if no one read it, I would still write it just because it gives me an outlet to express my thoughts and experiences day by day, but it makes it that much more awesome that people read it. As I thought about this small army of people who read my blog, I thought about another army, a very special army, and that army is “The KISS Army”. What is the KISS Army? The KISS Army is the legion of super-crazy KISS fans who are devoted to the band KISS like I should be to Christ (see yesterday’s blog). So if any of you want to start painting your face with some sort of crazy design or tribute to me, go for it, but if you want to continue reading and commenting anonymously you can do that as well. Although I have figured most of them out except one – keebler elf, I have no idea who you are, but that’s ok, and don’t be offended that I don’t know who it is.

So today hasn’t been all that interesting, but last night was now that I think about it. Last night was “Fusion” night at youth group. Fusion is our small group night. After Fusion people usually head over to a local restaurant called “Sammy’s”. (Although I usually refer to the joint as Samuels, and if we are going to Samuels I say that we are going to Samuelize…the kids think it’s hilarious!) Anyway, I took one guy in my car with me as we traveled to Samuels and on the way we talked about the part of Christmas that he spent with his father and how tough it is because he and his father don’t get along. Then later on I was sitting with this same youth and another youth, and we were just chatting and I asked the question, who is your hero? (Referring to a real person who inspires you and whom you respect) David talked about his grandfather and how since his father left, his grandfather has stepped up and been like a father to him. It was a sad moment on the one hand because David was unable to relate to Tyson (the other youth) and me who both said that our dad was our hero, but at the same time, someone cared enough about Dave to play that role in his life and that it meant a great deal to him. I was kinda moved, and it made me appreciate my dad (who truly is my hero) so much more. It’s been a real blessing to me how the youth of Vermilion have built up enough trust in their relationship with me that they can share things like that with me. I really love these kids.

Anyway, I have been feeling very nostalgic lately; in particular remembering my days and memories from my day’s spent at CBC in Regina. I’ve already written a bunch today so maybe tomorrow I can elaborate on my on-going nostalgia, but it’s been good.

The song of the day is a great one. It’s even featured in the film “Garden State” which I also love. The song is “The only living boy in New York” by Simon and Garfunkel. I used to spell Garfunkel incorrectly (Garfunkle) but I learned today the correct spelling which is: Garfunkel. Anyway, it’s a really great song, and Paul Simon wrote it while Art Garfunkel was away in Mexico filming the movie “Catch 22” which is a great book, but I haven’t seen the movie. Anyway, it’s a really great song, and if you have the desire or means, I challenge you to check it out. "The only living boy in New York" is featured on Simon and Garfunkel's classic album "Bridge over Troubled Water". Keep this in mind: A life lived without Simon and Garfunkel is hardly a life at all.
Until next time
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home