Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Mike's Mecca 4.5

What a day it has been. Today started with the realization that it is very cold in my room, and the observation that perhaps more blankets on my bed would be in order. Then I started my car, as I usually do on a morning where work is on the agenda, and came back in and headed for the shower. As I showered I had some thoughts (some of my most interesting thoughts come to me while I’m in the washroom in general) what does devotion look like in the form of devotion to Christianity? I have heard people say that they wish Christians would be as devoted and passionate about their faith as the Muslim terrorists who seem to be some noticeable these days. I’ve heard people comment that if Christians had the passion and devotion that Muslims have…to be willing to kill for their faith…we could really change the world. With that I agree, we would change the world, in that there would be a new Holy War, there was a point in history when Christians were devoted to the point of killing, and it was wrong. I think there is something to be said for raising the standard of devotion among Christians and more specifically myself. There are some key differences though among the devotion that Christians should have, and that which the famed Muslim terrorists have. Christians should be devoted to Christ, not Christianity. I am not bashing organized religion, no, but to be able to see beyond the failings of individual people and denominations and even local churches to see Christ and what he is really about, and following that, while working together with the local body of believers. Next, Christians in their devotion to Christ should not only be willing to lose their lives for him, but they should expect it. If Christians were to go in the streets killing in the name of Christ, people would think less of Christians then they already do. Much in the same way, Muslims are the target of ridicule, hatred and so on because of the actions of terrorists and different Muslim sects claiming their bloody deeds in the name of Allah. I’m losing my train of thought. The point is, as Christians, we follow Christ’s example, and the example of Christ, the teaching of Christ does not point us in the direction of murdering people who aren’t followers like we are. We are taught to be humble, to love, to serve, and when people attack us, we are taught to turn the other cheek. The more I thought about this, the more I realized how crappy a job I have done at this in some respects. I never really thought about devotion this way before. How as a Christian, a follower of Christ do I show my devotion, by loving people, all people. This isn’t easy, in fact it might be more difficult then pulling a trigger or setting off a bomb, but I know this is the direction I headed in. The thing that actually got me thinking about all this was the idea that “how good of a job do I do representing my faith” to quote a friend, “has Christianity made me better, or have I made Christianity worse?”. I started thinking about this, and how people who represent Christianity, myself in particular have probably turned more people off of Christ then on, simply because we aren’t even thinking about it. Every interaction we have is an opportunity to love someone or not to love someone. I then was thinking about prominent Christian figures who have screwed up in a large way in the public eye and given the evangelical church another black eye. Then I got to thinking I wonder if there are Muslims like me, people who are honestly trying to seek their God, yet embarrassed by their own actions of conveying Islam and the actions of terrorists around the world who have made Islam a word that for as long as my generation is around will be associated with terrorism. So this is what I was thinking about this morning.

Sorry this wasn’t as humorous or light-hearted as other entries, I apologize to Carmen in particular who reads these often for the purpose of having a laugh, maybe tomorrow will be better.

Now, don’t think just because I am talking about Muslims and Christians and heavy stuff like that, that I won’t have a song of the day because I do. The song that has been running through my heart and soul and mind and ears today has been the song “Cold Water” by Damien Rice. Potentially many people haven’t heard of this musical genius but I have, and this particular song is great because as well as being able to see Damien’s great song-writing talent and vocal skills, the song also features the vocal beauty of Lisa Hannigan, she knocks my socks off. Anyway, if you have the desire and or means, I’d recommend checking this song out.

Peace out my Children….Mike

Ps. I wonder if this blog was a subconscious attempt to be more thoughtful and introspective like Matt Russell?

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Russell said...

Thanks for name drop, it brings sunshine to my world. I like your thoughts on devotion as well. I think if was devoted to love half as much as I am devoted to my own comfort I would by much better than I am today

8:25 PM  
Blogger Matt Russell said...

Hey Travelnaller - who are you? Truthfully I was giving props to Mike for the name drop, though I was also glad to see myself appear in your comments. But I really don't have a clue who you are despite the obvious connection to mutual friends?

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home