Friday, February 04, 2005

I was going to call this "If I could Turn Back Time" but was then so grossed about by Cher that i couldn't do it

Good Morning (Vietnam). If you could go back in time, (and safely return with the help of Marty McFly, Doc Brown and a Dolorean) where would you go? Would you go back and change personal decisions you have made? Would you go back in time and simply experience some historical moment from a distance being careful not to change things and alter your own future? Have you ever seen the television program “Quantum Leap”?. It was really keen when I was a kid, and this guy (played by Scott Bakula) would go back in time and change history, but mostly just people’s personal lives, there was one episode where he was supposed to stop the assassination of JFK, but was unable because the power of fate was so strong. Anyway, it was a keen show, and season 1 is available on DVD right now! If I had the technology and knowledge to do this time traveling gig, and if it wouldn’t destroy my brain like Ashton Kutcher in “The Butterfly Effect”, I would probably just go and take part in historical events. On top of my list would be Woodstock, the original one in 1969. I’d try and find my dad and hang out with him for the night and rock out with him. He’d never remember it anyway, after all it was Woodstock. After hanging out with my dad, I’d go and watch The Who and Jimi Hendrix, and Crosby Stills Nash and Young. It would be totally awesome! Actually, in the same vein I could see it being really disappointing, like I’d get there and realize that the music only sounds good if you are tripping on acid, so then I would be really mad and leave in my time machine. But that’s pretty predictable isn’t it? I love music, so I think many of my time travel trips would be involving music, but let’s see if I can come up with something non-musical that would surprise you? Oh, I just remembered a cool and important fact about Quantum Leap! When Scott Bakula would go back in time, he would not go back as himself, he would go back as someone involved in the historical event. In the JFK one, he was Lee Harvey Oswald (this was made when the still contended that Oswald was the one who shot JFK, he totally wasn’t) and he couldn’t stop Oswald from shooting, so right at the last second he found himself in the body of one of JFK’s security guards walking with the car, and was just not in time to stop the assassination! It was a dramatic show! This is a lot more difficult then I thought, I certainly wouldn’t want to witness any wars, I would come back with post traumatic stress or something, hmm, this is difficult. And I’m not going to use sports either that would be too easy and I’d want to try and change the results (Canucks Rangers 94 anyone?). The time of Jesus would be too easy as well, I’m eliminating everything that I would want to see, this is hard. Do you have any suggestions? Well, I’m really not sure, part of me wants to say I would go back to the time of William Wallace and fight with the Scots against the English, but two things make me think that would be a bad idea. 1. I would die, I can’t wield a sword, I would be the guy in the movie Braveheart who is mooning the English and then gets shot with an arrow in the butt. That wouldn’t kill me, but then I would take it out and try and fight and some dude would slice off my leg, like Wallace did to that guy in the battle scene, and then my blood would splatter on the camera. 2. The other reason I wouldn’t go is that I hear it wasn’t all that historically accurate, and I would be pretty disappointed. I hear he doesn’t even look anything like Mel Gibson, what a rip! I guess I would just go back to the time when they were filming Braveheart and go be an extra, or hypnotize the director into letting me be one of William’s Disciples…I mean friends. Sorry, this was kind of a weird blog update, it’s not really about anything important, but sometimes I get on these rabbit trails and can’t get away from it without talking about it. And since there is still no one here at work, you seemed like a good audience.

The song of the day is “Good Time” by the Counting Crows. It’s track three on their album “Hard Candy”. It’s a pretty cool song, I remember I got this album in the Philippines when I was there, so many of the songs evoke memories of that trip, but memories aside, it’s a pretty cool song. Adam Duritz and the boys make it pretty chill, a cool guitar sound, as well as good lyrics, along with Adam’s unmistakable fantastic voice. I think I was a rock star I would be like Adam Duritz except not as ambiguously gay, well, not gay at all, and he might not be gay, but he dresses like it sometimes, he just seems kinda fruity, maybe he’s just eccentric, or maybe he’s bi. What do you think? Well if you have the desire or means, check out “Good Time” by the Counting Crows, it’s one of my favorite songs by the Crows, and you might like it.

Until Next Time, Peace in the NUC

1 Comments:

Blogger Shle said...

hey Mike, just to let you know, this update made me laugh out loud during my computer class. The look mr.Bell gave me was rather funny. Thanks!
Don't you think it would be fascinating to go back in time to when The Romans ruled the world? Even if it wasn't during the time of Christ. Cleopatra?
Or what about the time of the renissance era? That would be fascinating. I would love to go to England, too, back during the times.. of .. I cant explain it any other way, in the era of Jack the Ripper, not cause of him obviously.. but cause of the totally awesome clothes I'd get to wear! Or what about ... umm, what's his name again? Paul Revere, Benjamin Franklin! History is fascinating, If only we had the ability to go back in time, without altering history. Same like The Imagination Station, Back in the days of Adventures in Odyssey. Those were the days, eh mike?
Love you, I miss you tons!
Love Ashley

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home