Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Weddings

So, I have recently begun to contribute to the actual planning of my wedding which is allegedly supposed to take place sometime this summer. My work has consisted of finding a disc jockey to have at our dance. This has been difficult because, all of the local DJ's are booked for that weekend. Then i had to spread my net to include some DJ's from farther away, which essentially turned out to mean that they were twice as expensive. Having limited funds with which to work, and knowing the essentialness of having a disc jockey run the musical show that is our dance, i found myself in a pickle.

let's pause for a moment and consider the image of "being in a pickle" and how, that actually would be a terribly frightening thing to actually be "in a pickle"

Eventually, i found someone who was reasonable priced, but now i am praying that his "resonable price" does not indicate his "less then reasonable skill and quality". I guess we shall see, and by we, i mean we considering that most of the people that i think read this blog will be at my wedding, say for a person or two who may have decided to go overseas at the time. Anyway, the fact is, i have done very little actual planning of my wedding. I have had input on some descisions, and i even helped put the invitations together....kind of (Cara made them, i was allowed to put them in envelopes), but as far as anything else my participation has been minimal, which i think is the norm when it comes to planning the wedding. The other thing i have had to do is arrange for the suits for myself and the groomsman, which was no problem at all, except now, i want to bring them all in together to get measured while we are still here in Calgary together. The other and so far final responsibility of mine involves the catering. I have a contact from my interning church who is a fantastic caterer, and we are using him, but i just need to go over the details and so on with him.

All in all, i think you would agree with me, that i have done very little in the grand scheme of things. But from what little i have had to do, i have come to realize and appreciate, just how much work, and how much money it is to create and execute a half decent wedding. So, if any of you are considering getting married soon, i highly recommend that you be prepared in whatever way you can for the stresses (and joys) of planning a wedding.

Those of you thinking about getting married, don't take this the wrong way, i am not trying to discourage you from getting married, i am so incredibly happy to be getting hitched to the woman i love, but the actual planning stages can be overwhelming sometimes.

If you want to listen to a good song today, i recommend the song "Extraordinary" by Joel Plaskett Emergancy. It's from his record "Truthfully, Truthfully". I listened to this record as i walked to school today, and found it to be quite enjoyable overall. I hadn't listened to it much, since i recieved it many months ao from my good friend and colleuge Tim Houghton, but now have had the pleasure to give it a close listen and found it to be excellent. Anyway, should you feel like enjoying a piece of music, check out "Extraordinary" by Joel Plaskett.

1 Comments:

Blogger Keller said...

It was a tough call... Schalin/Scully wedding, or Indonesia. I was very disappointed that they fell on the same timeline.

I am not planning on getting married anytime soon... your blog discouraged me from getting hitched.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home