Thursday, February 09, 2006

You'll Never Get Anywhere.....

On Raw Talent Alone.

I had this revelation last night. I was asked to organize a floor meeting where our brothers would compete against each other in a wrestling tournament to determine the wrestling champ of our floor. Now, I am just about as tough and smart in wrestling as any guy in the rez, and i proved that last night. I knew how to get my opponents to break submission holds, i knew how to wait for the right opportunity to slam my opponent, i have the strength to pick up every guy on the floor and slam them down. All this being said, I didn't win the tournament. I first wrestled a smaller, but incredibly buff, and martial arts expert in Duc. That was probably my best match ever. He is small, but strong, and knows how to make people tap out. But i was able to avoid and such situations, I was able to use my weight to an advantage, and after a gruelling near 10 minute match, i forced him to give out. Now, the truth is, these wrestling matches can be brutal. When it's over, whether you win or you lose, you are generally pretty sore, and out of breath. I am more so out of breath because I am fat. So the match with Duc was long and arduous but i came out with a victory. Then i had to wait for the next round to begin, where i was scheduled to fight a young man named Andrew. He didn't take as long as Duc, but i did have to slam him hard a few times and then cause him to submit. So, I Was into the third of a fourth possible round, where i now had to face Matt Russell, in what would be known as a T-Night Rematch from 2003 in Regina. Now, no offence to Matt, but I could beat him. I'm stronger, I have more wrestling know-how, and just in general, I can beat him. But by this point, I was tired, and had lost my ambition to work really hard for a victory. So, Matt Russell, ran circles around me and I wrestled a defensive style that seemed to work, and I almost got him into a perfect submission hold that would've vaulted me all the way to the finals, but alas. He got me down, I tried to fight it, but by this point, i had no strength left, and he pinned me. So, I lost a match, that i would've almost certainly won, had it not been my third match of the night. This is to prove that, I can't get by on my raw strength alone. I need discipline, and practise, and endurance, to be able to do anything where i have a raw, untapped skill.

I actually had a realization like this many years ago whilst i was still in High School. I was in Choir, and I was a boy (still am a boy, well actually a man, but you know what i mean). Anyway, I am a good singer. Not American Idol good (though my aunt thinks so), but good. Once again, i have raw talent, which means, i have to ability without practising to be a better singer then the average person. When I was in Choir, my disgusting choir teacher, challenged me to go farther. To develop my talents, to work hard at them, and see where they would take me. Partially because I didn't want to pursue a career in music, and partially because i wanted to piss him off, i worked even less hard at choir and music.

So basically, all i want you to know is that if you have a talent or skill, and you want to show and use it, you won't get very far unless you work hard to hone it and develop it. (Sound Familier Spiritual Gift People!?)

Song of the Day is "Flight Recorder from Viking 7" by Matthew Good Band. This song is off one of the limited edition E.P's, but it also appears on disc two of the recent greatest hits release by the band. It is an amazing song that features wonderful back-up vocals, by Holly McNarland.
If y'all got the means and or the desire, i implore you to explore not only your talents and God given gifts, but also this song.

Goodbye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home