Friday, April 01, 2005

Brian McLaren, my second floor father!

Hey Y’all

I debated whether or not I would post tonight, but here I am. I thought about giving everyone a break after that monster-sized post on Weezer, but then I was sitting here and I was bored and I was like, hey I might as well post before I go to bed.

I had an alright day. Woke up a little late, went to work, tried to do some work on my Sunday school lesson for this Sunday, but so far I have nothing. Did some reading, put the finishing touches on my talk for youth group tonight, all in all it was alright. Actually, in the time prior to and leading up to, and even a bit during our youth event tonight, I was feeling tired and crappy and grumpy, but then I was able to connect with my source a bit and got up and spoke to our group about many of the issues that had been plaguing me lately in regards to seeking God and trusting Him (see how I capitalized that?). It seemed to be very effective, well at least Kyle was moved by what I had to say, oh well. I came home after that, talked to my mom and some other family, and then called my good friend Carmen. It’s always good to talk to Carmen.

She brought up an interesting question in the context of relationships, like dating relationships. I read in John Eldridge’s stupid book “Wild at Heart” that women like to be pursued or fought for or at least that men wouldn’t give up so easy in the pursuit. Now I don’t want to speak too much from personal experience only to say that persistence doesn’t always work out, and so, now I don’t know if the persistence factor is worth it past the initial rejection. But then again, this could be a totally individual thing, it could vary from women to women, or is it like Eldridge thinks that “women need to be pursued, fought for, with persistence”. I’m not sure what any of this means, we were just talking about it, and Carmen seemed to be surprised by my lack of persistence in pursuing relationships, and I was of the attitude that “the original rejection sucks enough, why go back for more?”, but if that is the attitude that is keeping me from having a wife, I would ditch it, but then again, who am I, I am not ready to be married, I don’t know, this is such a messy, and touchy subject….Any thoughts?

Anyway, from there, we talked for a bit longer then went our separate ways as it usually happens with phone conversations, but it was really good to talk to her. Other then that, my feet are cold and I have been listening to U2 tonight, because I have had a deep and penetrating desire to listen to their latest album “how to dismantle an atomic bomb” so I did and it was superb and simply amazing. It makes me happy. Anyway, today’s song will be a U2 song, once again featured on their latest album. The song is “Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own”. It’s a beautiful song about companionship, and it’s just so good. If you have the means or the desire you should check this song out. If you don’t have the means and or the desire, then you should damn-well get both, cause you are missing out! Love Mike

ps. I just finished re-reading McLaren's "A New Kind of Christian", he blows my mind everyday! His new book is just out, i will have to get it next week! Also, ah crap, i totally had something important to say, but now i can't remember...oh well

2 Comments:

Blogger Shaolin said...

Michelle,
thanks for unveiling my eyes to see the truth. The stupid part is i knew all that, but for some reason it was like my mind could not access the information and or it couldn't articulate it to my typing fingers...thanks for the reminder though...

6:56 PM  
Blogger Shle said...

I remember what you wanted to say. You wanted to say that another great song by U2 is Vertigo, thus, the naming of the Vertigo tour.. Oh yeah, speaking of the Vertigo Tour, my little sister is going to that concert when they Hit Vancouver, the only Canadian City on the Tour... Isn't she lucky?
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Love you tons
xoxoxo

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home