Monday, March 14, 2005

Talking to the Fox (the radio station not some hot girl)

I know I just blogged last night, but I was having some thoughts. You see, I had this great plan last night. My plan was to stay up really really late last night so that I would be so tired that I would sleep till noon and I wouldn’t have to deal with the cleaning lady and such. So at about 9:30 this morning, I heard the phone ring. Then I tuned my ears more, cause I wondered if it was for me. As I did this, I also noticed a loud noise coming from upstairs. It seems that since last week our cleaning lady has gotten into the habit of listening to the radio very loudly as she cleans. As fate would have it, the radio is directly above my head. It was more then a little ridiculous. I was pretty pissed off actually because I stayed up till 3am watching celebrity poker with the hopes sleeping till noon, but alas it wasn’t to be. As I lay in bed, being pissed off about the noises that had woken my up, my mind drifted back to a person I used to know. I went to elementary school with this guy named Chris, and when it came time to go to high school Chris moved to another part of Vancouver and we didn’t stay in touch. A couple years after high school I found out that he committed suicide. Anyway, I was thinking about Chris this morning and his family and some of the good times we had together and I got to thinking, “I wonder if his life would’ve turned out different had I stayed in touch and remained friends with him?”. Now I know what you are thinking, “Mike, you can’t blame yourself for this” and I agree I can’t and I don’t, but it made me think about the impact that we can have on people’s lives without even being aware of it. I am not depressed or anything, but it makes you think, how do our interactions with people affect them for good or bad? I don’t know it’s difficult because you really can’t see the future; we don’t have crystal balls that can show us how each decision affects other people and how things are going to turn out. We only have one shot at this life, so lets make it a good one, lets think before we do things. Do you get what I am saying? We have potential to influence peoples lives, let’s do the best we can, by letting Christ influence our lives and through us have Christ influence those around us.

Song of the day: I know I promised a gem by Rachel Yamagata, but as well as her and Pink Floyd I have also been listening to Weezer and more specifically their third and greenest album. Weezer used to be without a doubt my favorite band, and I still love them, but I haven’t given this album a spin in a long time due to its lack to depth and poppyness, but I did enjoy listening to it this morning and yesterday. I am trying to get myself psyched for the release of the new Weezer album in May. Anyway song of the day is “O’ Girlfriend”. I remember when I heard that song I loved it, it was my favorite non-single song on the album. It’s a song about a break up and remembering the good times. That was a summer 2002 song for me, the whole album was a summer 2002 song, in fact one vivid memory I have is Adam Loewen and I driving to the North Shore Alliance Church in my parents mini-van and playing “Island in the Sun” really loud with the windows down and singing and Adam doing harmonies, it was a good time and a good memory of Weezer’s green album. So if you have the time and or the means, check out “O’ Girlfriend” by Weezer.

Ps. I like to listen to 99.3 the Fox (which is a Vancouver Rock Station) and they have this segment called the nineties at noon, and they asked this question today “who is the band who is ripping off the nineties the most in their music?” and I called in from Vermilion and trashed Nickleback. It was awesome, then they played it on the radio and I just listened to it and I can’t stop laughing because I didn’t think he would play it because he disagreed with me, but I love that he played it anyway, because I really ripped into Nickleback and they deserved every word of it. If you didn’t know I don’t like the band Nickleback, in fact it was my dream at one point to meet Chad Kroeger in a dark Alley and fight him because I like him so little. Anyway, I wanna stop talking about that band because they aren’t worth the airtime. I even like Jack Johnson a billion times more then that other band, so there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home