Sunday, March 27, 2005

Gangsta Talk

Well good evening. It is indeed the Sunday of Easter, and I have indeed just finished watching a remarkable and wonderful film in “Finding Neverland.” Ever since I saw the previews for this film I have very much wanted to see it. I had a chance to see it while I was home at Christmas, but alas, it’s not the kind of film you watch in the theater with a male friend, and it’s not the kind of film you go to a theater alone to see, but apparently it is the kind of film you rent on Easter and watch alone, yet I submit that it would also be a film to rent and watch with an attractive female on Easter, alas I am without said attractive female, therefore I was left with the first option.

For those of you who are unaware, “Finding Neverland” tells about the creation of the story of Peter Pan, through the life of J.M. Barrie, the man who wrote Peter Pan. It stars Johnny Depp, Kate Winslet, and Dustin Hoffman, and in my opinion was a simply wonderful film. It was like the Oscar Worthy – Dramatic Version - of “Cheaper by the Dozen” and it is the kind of film I could watch with anyone from CBC, though do I want to?

How was your Easter? Mine was good. I slept in this morning a little bit, which in the end, wasn’t a big deal, because we at Parkview Alliance Church were smart enough to have something going on before Church, otherwise I would’ve been hooped. Today was the day that we (the choir) did our thing, and to be honest it went pretty darn well. Are we a First Alliance bunch of trained singers, who practice 10 times a week and if you miss a practice you are out of the choir situation? No, of course not, but we really enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed praising God, and using our gifts and talents to do so, and also to lead other people into the His presence. (Did you notice how I capitalized “Him” that shows how smart and spiritual I am, cause if I didn’t capitalize “Him” in reference to God, I wouldn’t be a very good Christian would I?) Anywizzle (that’s gangsta talk for anyway) I don’t mean to put a damper on things, but here is something that bothers me.
In some worship songs, but particularly ones that refer to the people of God dancing I have had a bit of an issue. For instance the worship song “I Could Sing of Your Love Forever” (did you notice my correct use of capitalization again?), has a line that says “When the world has seen the light, they will dance with joy like we’re dancing now”. I don’t know about you, but never, and I repeat never, have I had anyone dancing while we sang that line. So I will be standing there, and we will be singing this great joyful song, but then it say’s “When the world has seen the light, they will dance with joy like we (supposedly the people of God who have news so good they can’t help but dance) are dancing now” and no one is even moving, myself included. I feel justified in not singing that part, because I for one have ceased singing that part because I am not dancing and I feel like I making a liar of that song, and others like it. I wish our churches were less inhibited, I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m not much of a dancer, but sometimes I feel like moving, I feel like the spirit is really moving my body because of my passion, my thankfulness, my joy and so on, but I can’t dance in church, people would be offended, or at least they would think I am crazy. Am I over-generalizing? Probably, they might not think I was crazy, and they might not stone me outside the synagogue, but I think most people wouldn’t appreciate it. Or would they? I wonder, if next time I felt the spirit moving in my body, if I danced, if something good would happen, like other people, who also feel this way would feel free to express their worship to God in this way. At least I know I have Biblical precedent on my side.

Other then that do I have anything to say….hmmm, well I did go this afternoon for my third turkey dinner in as many days. It was pretty awesome, after that I stayed and played Dominos and rook with the family. It was honestly a good time, and the time flew by, before I knew it, it was time for me to come home, watch films and update my blog. Good ol Blog.

So outside of Chizzurch and Godizzle (gangsta talk for Church and God) you might be wondering what is going on with me. Well, the truth is, in about a months time, I will be leaving Vermilion, as my internship will have been completed in a hopefully successful way. From there (and after preaching one more sermon) I will be driving in my automobile to the city of Calgary, where I will spend my summer working, trying to save money for Schizzool (do you get it yet?). I will be living with the dynamic duo of Timothy Ira (whoa if you add an “N” to Ira it spells Iran) and Joshua Houghton. We will live downtown and have a great time doing it. When the summer is over, I will no longer live there I am assuming. It was my plan to find a place not downtown, but as it stands right now, I don’t know if I am going to be able to do that. Which leads me the idea of living in Residence again…how crazy would that be? Mr. Anti Rez. Himself heads in. (and when I say anti-rez, I mean, anti in that I didn’t ever want to live there). It might be fun though, and I might actually meet some freshman if I do. This could even possibly be my ministry; I could be a mentor to these wild and crazy freshies. Maybe if I do, some of them won’t get married as fast as some of these dummies from last year are. Who knows, I don’t like the idea of being so cramped, but I might not have much else as far as choice goes.

That’s all I am going to reveal for now.

Song of the day: “Fond Farewell” by Elliott Smith. These last few days of mine have been filled with considerable amounts of Elliott Smith, which might explain my slight depression and desire to do crack and kill myself by stabbing myself in the chest, though it might all be a coincidence as well. Anyway, this is one song that has stuck out to me in a plethora of Elliott Smith songs over the last couple days, so if you have the means and or the desires, I encourage you to listen to “Fond Farewell” by Elliott Smith. There might be swearing in the song, you know I never realized how much Elliott cussed in his music until I listened to it all in a row, and then I was like “Holy Crap, there is a lot of cussing in his songs.” Hold on I’ll check if there is any cussing in this one, just so you can be properly warned, although, let’s be honest, do any of you actually listen to the song of the day…your silence is all the answer I need. Hmm, anyway, it doesn’t look like there are any cusses, so there you go. Anyway, check it out, I love you all, see you all in Calgary one day.

I bid you fondly farewell – The Shaolin

2 Comments:

Blogger T.I.Houghton said...

First of all let me tell you that I look forward to having you as a roommate and debating partner for the summer. Second I suggest that you not stab yourself in the chest with a knife since it would hurt real bad and you would just be copying E.Smith. Third, I do usually listen to the song of the day if I am able to without waking my brother who usually goes to bed before me. Forth I suggest that you stop talking like a gangsta since we both know that I am more black then you do to my listening of one song Lauryn Hill's and also my roommate who was of a colored orign.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Matt Russell said...

I can't believe that you managed to write about the importance of referring to God with Capitals when using pronouns and then in the next paragraph called God "Godizzle", which is frieghtfully close to Godzilla and proof that Gangsta might be one of those things that is good, but only sometimes

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home