Saturday, January 08, 2005

It's amazing really

Good Morning

Today has been a day of minor disappointment. It was my intention to visit the thriving metropolis of Lloydminster and do some banking as well as picking up a few items that I believe I need to properly survive. Unfortunately, my enemy “the snow” was back up to it’s old tricks, starting to heavily fall last night sometime and continuing into today. Oh well, it’s not the end of the world, but trips to Lloyd also give me an excuse to get out of the house for a while and also an excuse to get some Quiznos for lunch. As I was thinking about my situation today, I wondered to myself (cause no one else is around) “Is God trying to teach me something?” I don’t know the answer yet, but I do know perhaps that is a question I need to ask with more frequency in my life. I think that I take things at face value too often sometimes, but I contribute this to my interactions with Christians who ask that question to often. Some people ask that question too much for me, like “the tooth fairy left me a dollar under my pillow, I wonder what God is trying to teach me in this?”. I don’t know, perhaps I am too cynical, but some people I have seen have looked so fake and fake spiritual in asking that question. Anyway, this is about me, not them, I think I will ask that question more, I can’t change everyone else, heck I can’t even change myself, I need God to do that. I guess I should be less critical of people to, seeing we are all in the same boat, trying to get to God, but all at different places in my life, besides they probably look at me and consider me one of the heathens they are trying to save.

I’m not sure what the rest of the day holds for me, I know I will be watching and then returning the new Willem Dafoe film that I rented, but I’m not sure when this will take place and i'll let you know how it turns out. I might also go for a walk and listen to my headphones as I take in the snow and try and find some beauty in it. I think I could find beauty in it a whole lot easier if this walk included a girlfriend, but alas, no dice. Sometimes I think I rely too much on women to find happiness, maybe this is something else God is trying to show me. It’s amazing what you can learn if you just listen and think about things for a while. Mind Blowing actually.

Thanks to Jeremiah for the comment on yesterdays post, I’m glad that you were happy about my selection for song of the day, and speaking of which here is today’s selection. The song that I will recommend today and endorse as my song of the day is U2’s “City of Blinding Lights” which is off their most recent release 2004’s “How to dismantle an atomic bomb”. It is a great song, and the riff that Edge plays in it is truly a thing of beauty. Anyway if you have the desire and means I implore you to give this track a spin, you won’t be disappointed…unless you choose to be just to spite me, which I’m sure you won’t do because you love me right? Anyway, that’s all for today, my throat hurts, all this typing has made me parched I think I will indulge in glass of orange juice. Have a good day friends…..Mike

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Mike,

There is nothing wrong with being cynical. Jesus was quite the cynical chap himself at times.

As for your song of the day, you should look for songs that are possibly not so "in-the-limelight" or artists and albums that would also fall into that category. Not that I disagree or contend with your pick, it's just a little obvious. I'm sure we could find half-a-million blogs praising U2's new album at the moment........

Rooster

7:38 PM  
Blogger Matt Russell said...

I agree with Rooster, just kidding, I think you should use whatever song delights you. I didn't even know that U2 had a new album because I live in a hut on the side of a active volcano (or something like that I forget. Also I sympathize with the dilemma of being house bound. Today was a rare one for me in that I did get out of my house more than I had planned. After church (cause it's Sunday here 14 hours before it is there) I went for lunch at this new swank hotel in town. Salatiga is not really a natural place for a swank hotel and it kind of shows, because when we ordered lunch, they were out of half the items and then I ate a ceasar salad without the ceasar and recieved a club sandwich that suspiciously was nothing like the cheese burger I ordered. Oh well it was all enjoyable as only western food can be after being out of the west for 100 days or so. Also it's fairly cheap due to the miracle of currency conversion and even better the people who invited me ended up paying. All of which to say - it's good to get out. I started my own blog because I had to become a user to post comments here but I don't feel like setting up my blog which is the insane degree of laziness I feel at this moment in time, so I vicariously blogging through you. Also I fear that if I start using my blog I will stop writing as many e-mails to people like yourself and some of our common comrades about the randomness of my life and I think that would be a bad thing. E-mail after all gives me some sort of sense of connectedness. Speaking of which I wrote you a really depressing e-mail this morning when I was offline, but decided to delete before I came online because the depression was very momentary and was relieved by getting out of the house. Today after I went for lunch I drove on my motor bike home and decided to keep driving because just last I had discovered that I am way closer to the country side than I realized and so I drove and drove through rubber tree plantations and rice fields and all sorts of beautiful things. I think this will soon become a habit. It was a beautiful sunny day and everything I saw was a reflection of God's beauty. Maybe that is what undepressed me. I don't think it is bad to ask yourself if God is trying to teach you something, he likely is. It may be annoying to overly analyze your life, as I do, but it's hard to learn from situations if you don't stop to appreciate them.

Oh and to end off on a positive note, may I disagree again with Rooster (sorry man, I dont know where the bitterness comes from?). I don't think Jesus was cynical - he was very critical at times, but cynicism doesn't seem to fit. I think cynicism is one of things that rots our hearts and has made our society full of arrogant and irritating people (I think I spelt irritating wrong, maybe a cynic would say that I can't have anything intelligent to say because I can't even spell, well piss on that) and it is tempting to become one of them through cynicism, because cynicism and "cool" are often in partnership. I admire your idea that we are all in the same boat because I think by identifying with others we will learn to replace cynical, snide comments with compassion.

Alright now that I have written this much I guess I should make use of my own blog after all

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home