Friday, January 07, 2005

Getting Post-Modern with Indonesia

Greetings faithful readers,

Today has been a decent day. Came in this morning, I was the first one to the office, and then none of the other pastors showed up till like 9:45, which was cool because it afforded me some time to have some quiet around the office. It also afforded me time to speak on the messenger service with my good friend Matt, who is currently doing his version on an internship in Indonesia. Just over a month ago I sent Matt a book (among other interesting items) and we were able to talk a bit about it. It was really a great time of hashing out some post-modern thought with my friend this morning. We talked about how Christians view and respond to homo-sexuality and it’s connection to the fall of man. We also talked about God’s justice, and sometimes how it is a difficult thing to wrestle with, and also how we as finite beings can’t comprehend the mystery of God and the many aspects of his character. It was a really good conversation, it made me think about theological issues which doesn’t come up as much in this form when doing practical ministry. I mean my theology, my thoughts about God (thanks to Bernie) my understanding of his word forms the foundation for what I do in practical ministry, but discussing in this way doesn’t happen as often for me when I’m not in school. Anyway, it was pretty great.

Since then I have been hard at work, preparing some things for our youth event tonight. Tonight is Crave, our monthly night of worship and teaching. I am really looking forward to it. The teens lead worship and either Kyle (my mentor in my internship) or I will share the message. Tonight Kyle is doing the message, which should be good, he is generally a pretty high quality communicator. Asides from the work I have been doing for that I have also had some time to do some reading. I am now reading like three different books right now, but out of my conversation with Matt this morning I felt led to begin reading Brian D. McLaren’s classic book “A New Kind of Christian”. So far it has been a good read again, but I am picking up little points that I have forgotten about the book, and also seeing some interesting new things. After all, it has been like 2 years since I read this book last. I would recommend it to anyone, religious or non-religious, it’s just very interesting.

So to close out today’s entry, I will share with you my song of the day. David Crowder Band is one of the best Christian bands that I am aware of, and I am aware of quite a few. On their album “Can you hear us?” they cover a Delirious song called “Obsession”. David Crowder and his band do such a remarkable job of covering this song that I have decided to award it the Song of the Day. Despite my ear infection which continues to linger, it was able to be heard by me, and deemed awesome, and also exactly what I needed to hear. If you have the desire or means, you should check it out. That is all for today, I need to type up my Sunday school lesson for this week, and the day is getting short. So have a good one and keep on rocking in the free world…..Mike

Ps. Mom, don’t worry I’m going to the doctors on Monday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home