Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Eddie Vedder and I are still alive, but Pauly Shore is dead!

Hello my friends. I must offer my apologies for my lack of blogging recently, between my trip to Calgary, my youth ski trip, my tip to Edmonton to help my uncle move his mother in law, and the return of the children of the family I live with, I have had very little time to sit and collect my thoughts, and more importantly, to write them out for you!

The last week and a half has honestly been a blur, I am only now starting to recover from the long days and sleepless nights that have been crippling me since I left Vermilion to go to Calgary. Just in case you were wondering, I did have a great time in Calgary. I enjoyed my class, learned some things, and was able to see many of my Calgary friends, which was more then nice. I even met some new people, which was strange but great all at the same time. During my time in Calgary I viewed two films, which is the thrust of what I want to talk about today. I say first “The Notebook”, which was a nice, cutesy movie, that was extremely predictable, and if I had the choice I wouldn’t watch it again. There was one moment that was really sad, but I was able to contain myself and not break down and cry. The second film I watched was “Spanglish”. Monica and I went to see it in the cheap theater up in the North Eastern Quadrant of Calgary, and I was shocked to see the admission price had gone up two dollars. I was shocked and appalled. Anyway, we were a little late, and we missed the first five minutes, but I don’t think we missed much. Even if we did, it was an amazing movie. Now, this was a bloody tear jerker, more then once I had to put my hand up at the side of my face so Monica wouldn’t see the tears streaming down my face. There are some seriously emotional moments in that film, and I would recommend it to anyone!

So here is my question, if you have ever watched even a remotely sad movie with me, or if you watched a movie that is not remotely sad (Cheaper by the Dozen) with me, chances are you have seen me cry. It all started last year at school. Before last year, there was only one film that could make me cry and it was “The Patriot” starring Mel Gibson. You know the part when his little daughter comes running back to him “Daddy, I’ll say anything, I’ll say anything!” and so on, well that kills me, it always has, that was for a long time, the first and only movie able to evoke a tearful emotion out of me. Then last year, perhaps during reading week, but I think it was earlier, I began watching movies. I watched movies that were sad. I didn’t do this intentionally, but it seemed every movie that I watched (Dad, Sam I am, Forrest Gump, and like six others that I can’t remember) had my lying alone in my apartment, weeping like a women! I can’t explain it, it’s like years of pent up emotion just came flowing out and I couldn’t turn off the floodgates.

Now why would I admit something like this? Am I confused about my sexuality? No. Am I trying to pick up a girlfriend by appealing to their sensitive side? Well, no, but if you want to talk about it, I’m always open to new ideas! Am I simply trying to admit that I am not the big man that I have always made myself out to be? No. What I am getting at is, it seems like I have these emotions only for silly things like movies and one or two songs. I’ve never had anyone close to me die, so I havn’t had a chance to weep for that, I seriously don’t cry over much, I don’t weep when I think about what Christ did for me and how much he loves me, I have not wept over a teenager in my ministry yet (although I came close!), it’s like the only time I cry is while watching movies, and I wonder if that is messed up? Am I only affected by things that aren’t real? Am I cold and emotionless towards the real world and the pain and suffering contained within? I don’t know, I was just thinking about this the other day, and it seemed strange to me. What do you think? Do I need councelling?

Anyway, today’s song of the day is “Alive” by Pearl Jam. The chorus reminds everyone who is listening to the song that “I’m still alive” and that is the sentiment I want to pass on to you, my readers because I haven’t updated in a very long time. It’s also a really great song, if you like early nineties grunge rock. This is one of the anthems from that era, and it is a classic song by Pearl Jam, one of their bests. Anyway, I think I hear Kyle coming in so I am going to end now, before he sees me doing this at work. If you have the means and or the desire, check out this song, it’s a lovely one. Oh, wait, please let the record show that despite alive being one of Pearl Jam's best songs, thier actual best song is "Black", and you might as well check that one out too if you have the time.

Peace out my friends, I love you all!

Ps. I forgot to talk about leadership, oh well, you will have to wait to hear about that. Also, seriously, I cried more in Spanglish that I have ever cried in any movie! It was so intense, it is really good, you should all watch it. Maybe we’ll have a guys night and watch it without any girls around and all sit there bawling our eyes out! Sounds like a real macho night to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home