Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Master Yee's Noodle Wrap

Greetings from Calgary! I want you to know that at this moment i am typing with one hand because in my other hand is a popsicle, which i am almost finished eating. Now i am finished eating it and it was bloody glorious. So yes, you did read that correctly when i said greetings from Calgary, and indeed currently in the city that i love (props to the disciple that Jesus loved), and if you didn't know i am taking a class so that i can try and graduate next year! I am taking a class called "World Views" and it is about philosophy and the history of differant world views. I am really enjoying it so far, despite the fact that i am so incredible fatigued from all the visiting and staying up late and getting up early that i have been doing. Oh crap, i just realized i havn't yet done the reading that is due for tomorrow morning. Stupid me, always putting relationships before schoolwork. Oh well, i still plan on passing this by a wide margin, after all, the first assignment due is a critical book review of Brian McLaren's gem of a book "A Generous Orthodoxy". Is this class for me or what!?

I got to Calgary on Sunday Night, and made it here safely despite having to drive through a difficult and scary snowstorm about 75km from Calgary. It slowed my progress heavily and caused me to consider my last wished as i thought for sure that i would not survive. There were minor accidents and cars in the ditch all over the place, traffic at one point was totally stopped and even when it started again i didn't go much faster then 25km an hour through the storm. It sucked, but i wanted to be safe. While i drove i listened to Jars of Clay, David Crowder Band and Jimmy Eat World. When i got to Calgary i told people that God, Jars of Clay, David Crowder Band and Jimmy Eat World got me there safely. One of my friends (Tim Houghton) burst out laughing, imagining those bands out helping push my car. It was a very funny moment for all involved.

Other then my many hours a day spent learning about philosophy. i have been visiting many many friends. For instance, on this night, i spent it with friends, mostly from my freshman year, and a couple who were there my second year. It was keen to get together and catch up, and reminisce a bit. To be honest, i don't remember the last time that i laughed as much as i did tonight. It was generally good times, although it did feel weird to be back in that setting, weird in a good way though. There was much laughter, some tears (of laughter), some awkward moments (it wouldn't be CBC if there wasn't awkward) and much good times overall. It was really good for me, i don't know what else to say, i had a great time.

Last night i went to a pentecostal worship service that is very popular. I am generally turned off by these types of things, but i wanted to check it out, so i went and i did my very best to engage and hear from God. I was able to do this through the music. Then the speaker came. No sorry, then two offerings seperated by announcements came, then the speaker came, and this is where i didn't appreciate things. I don't want to get into all the things he said right now, because i am tired and must sleep, but i will say that i disagreed with what he said because it was untrue, i didn't like it because he tried to guilt us into believing what he believes by using shocking statistics (i hate statistics when used in an guilt inducing way) i didn't like it because he kept devaluing himself and his own credibility, and i didn't like it because he just seemed like a general jackass. Oh yeah, then there was the whole tongues without interpretation. But anyway, i really tried to gain something from this experiance with the pentecostals, and i still might, but the evening was hugly overshadowed by an unfavourable speaker.

Then i watched the Notebook. It was ok, and i didn't cry, though i was close at one point.

Whoa, song of the day, i never even thought about this, but now it's time. So, while visiting Jeanne, we listened to and compared our mutual enjoyment for Blink 182's self titled album. One song that we both really loved is called "All of this" and she told me it is done with the Cure, which is really cool. It's kind of a messed up song lyrically speaking, but it's also still really good. Blink's actual vocal performance is always stellar and this song is now differant. Anyway, i am really tired, this song is great, if you have the means or desire, you should check it out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terry Finley said...

I like your title. I invite you to visit my blog and to study the Bible with me.

Terry Finley
http://clearcutbiblestudies.blogspot.com/

9:34 AM  
Blogger Matt Russell said...

Mike Dude,
I think this Finley guy is trying to convert you. His blog is disturbingly fundie. I am afraid that by posting this here he will read it and then starting commenting on my blog about my incorrect theology.

Beware of the fundies

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home