Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bono and Me

So last night i was dreaming and sleeping. Then Cara woke up to the sound of a dog barking. Now, obviously, no, I have not gotten a dog. I don't even like dogs. Or Cats, which might leave you wondering 1. Do I have a soul? and 2. Why did your wife wake to the sound of a dog barking if you don't have a dog? Good questions. I decline to answer question 1 for the sake of time, but the answer to question 2 is, Cara and I (and Jude) are house sitting for friends who have a dog. So, at 5:30am, the dog starts barking, which is weird, cause the dog should be sleeping, and also because this dog never barks unless someone is at the door. So Cara freaks out, wakes me up and sends me running up the stairs in my underwear to take out this potential intruder Jack Bauer style...but thankfully (for the intruder) there was no one there, and the dog was barking just to ruin my sleep and dreaming time.


Now, I don't like this dog at the best of times. He's really needy, on an emotionaly level, and he gets in my space. But now, he had woken me from a spectacular sleep and what i at the time remembered to be a very cool dream.


Here is what I remember of the dream. I was at the superbowl. I wasn't watching football or anything, but i know it was the superbowl. It was the halftime show, and instead of just one really awesome band - there were three - and the last one was U2. Now, this was awesome because, I have never seen U2, so i was stoked to see one of my all time favorite bands live, even if it was a little three song medly at the Superbowl. But the weird thing was, everyone had left, well not everyone, but like in a stadium that seats 60000 plus people, we were talking like maybe a few hundred were still there to check out U2. So i went all the way down to the front. It was amazing. And Bono came right out into the fans and i reached out and he grabbed my hand, and other people's too, and he sang (it was a new song, that i had never heard before) and he looked right at me through he sweet purple sunglasses.


The then concert was over, and i found myself walking from the stadium to the parking lot with Bono. We were talking, just normally, like old friends. It was really cool, just talking about life
and music (but not Africa - even though he loves to talk about Africa - i didn't ask him about his relationship with Penelope Cruz either). Anyway, we were sitting outside his trailer, and he looked at me and said, "Mike, you need a haircuit...if you trimmed up, your hair and beard and sideburns you would look much better - you look like a slob". And it was at that moment that Cara woke me up.
Now, here is the story on my hair and beard, which is featured so prominantly in these pictures. Recently i have been depressed. Feeling thin, "like butter spread over too much toast", and it was in that depression that i decided i wanted to grow my beard and hair out. Actually to let it grow until i returned from Belize at the end of August 2009. I don't know how long it's been since i've had a haircut, maybe a month and a half - maybe two months...but it's already getting unruly. But i was prepared to stick it out, with my hair and beard being a sign to me of my pledge made in the depth of depression as an ever present reminder. People have been bugging me to shave...my wife especially, most other people have just commented on how shaggy i look, but when you read between the lines you see they mean slobbish. Anyway, none of that mattered to me. I was keeping my hair, no matter how annoying it got to me.
But then in a dream, Bono told me to cut my hair - and now i shall. Stay tuned for the haircut update.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider yourself lucky that you only dreamt about Bono as opposed to another rockstar. I've heard that when people run into Jim Morrison in their dreams, he makes them put on large scale rock concerts... a much more difficult task than personal grooming.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home